Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Vampire Edmonton Oilers 1999

It was a dream during grade eleven. Looking back I blame the hormones, maybe it was stress, maybe I was worried about the future. Who knows? The sheer wonder of youth's audacity can never be understood and understanding my own would never work. So at this time in my life I would wake up around seven a.m, get my brother ready for school, make breakfast for the both of us and set him on his way to the bus for 8 a.m. Sometimes I would doze off on the couch while CBC played in the background (we didn't have cable, a car or hot water if it matters) and enjoy my twenty minutes of quiet time before I had to leave for high school and make the ten or so minute walk. My dad would have already been gone to work for about two hours before I even woke up for my weekday routine. In my slow doze I somehow went down the tunnel of sleep and found myself in a befuddling dream, one of those where you don't know you're dreaming until the very end and the moment of clarity hits you.
*enter dream*
I was an agent of some clandestine police agency Canada doesn't like to admit exists. I was dressed in a dark gray suit, had prescription shades on and had an earpiece so I could hear orders. My friends and I all were on the job investigating the random disappearences of people during Edmonton Oiler games. The West Edmonton Mall and the Skyreach Centre are conjoined like some proud Anglo megalith superstructure stretching for six city blocks in any given direction. We had to seek any revelant information, any lead, anything. After we systematically swept the place by breaking up into many teams of two we only had one last place to check in the whole area and the game was roaring, the crowd's ebb and flow could be heard like a freight train and we were very high strung and kicked down the locker room doors for the Edmonton Oilers after flashing our badges to security. What lay behind those doors made me realize I was asleep and obviously my mind was being ridiculous. The Edmonton Oilers locker room was lined with coffins colored blue, white and orange and a number was on each coffin along with the players' names. There was a "C" and an "A" on a couple coffins by the front. The Edmonton Oilers were vampires and lured select fans back here and drank their blood like a team activity. My mind shook and I didn't wake up yet, I just realized I was asleep and in that moment my point of view shifted and I lifted out of where I was standing and started floating up and passed through the roof only to see the worst part of it all. This West Edmonton Mall/Skyreach Centre megalith was on an iceberg and was floating away into the darkness of a night time ocean. With that revelation I woke up with a startled grunt and realized I was late for class.
*exit dream*

1 comment: